A real time prescription monitoring (RTPM) system provides medical practitioners with accurate and timely information regarding their patient’s medication history to help them make more informed clinical decisions at the point of care.
Real time prescription monitoring systems play a key role in reducing the growing harms from prescription medicine misuse.
Fred IT Group (owner of eRx Script Exchange) was appointed by the Victorian Department of Human Services in November 2017 to develop the state’s first real time prescription monitoring system, called SafeScript.
SafeScript launched in the Western Victorian PHN in October 2018 as part of a phased rollout across Victoria. The platform will utilise real time prescription data captured via the electronic transfer of prescriptions through Medication Knowledge Pty Ltd to monitor high risk medications including schedule 8 and codeine.
In 2016, 372 Victorians died from prescription medication overdose. SafeScript will enable health professionals to deal with this growing problem by providing them with an accurate and up to date picture of a patients prescribed and dispensed medication history. This clinical data will help pharmacists and GPs to identify and support patients who are at risk.
Visit the Health Victoria website for further details on the SafeScript RTPM system.
Medication Knowledge Pty Ltd
Medication Knowledge Pty Ltd is a joint venture between eRx Script Exchange and MediSecure. It will provide a single means of securely delivering prescription and dispense data to the Victorian SafeScript real time prescription monitoring system.
- SafeScript Saving Lives In Western Victoria, Minister for Health Victoria, 20 Dec 18
- ‘SafeScript: helping doctors provide safer patient care’, MedicalDirector, 10 Dec 18
- ‘Fred IT Group wins contract to deliver real-time prescription monitoring in Victoria‘, Fred IT Group, 27 Nov 17
- ‘Saving Lives: Getting SafeScript Done In Victoria‘, Minister for Health Victoria, 24 Nov 17
- ‘Life-Saving Real-Time Prescription Monitoring Laws Pass Parliament‘, Minister for Health Victoria, 18 Oct 17
- ‘SafeScript to save lives in Western Victoria‘, Minister for Health Victoria, 1 Oct 18